Friday, February 20, 2015

Between the Margins [Week 1]

Finally, finally, finally! Week 1 is published! Throughout the first week, I have obtained an incredible amount of information.  Week 1, as mentioned in the previous blog post, required no violin playing at all.  Although there was a strong temptation to pick up the wooden instrument and start playing, I had no choice but to stick with the books. Well, more like music books.


Suzuki was my main resource for obtaining information as to how to play the instrument.  But wait! most asked.  Isn't Suzuki a music book filled with beginner level music?!?! Yes, it is.  However, the first seven pages are filled with how to hold the bow, how to tune, the fingerings for the violin, and much more (I honestly learned a lot more just by that book than I thought I would).  Here are some examples of what was exactly in the book:










Another method of learning the fundamentals of the violin was watching videos of famous violinists.  I watched several musicians play several different pieces, but I enjoyed watching Roman Totenberg the most and ended up only watching videos of him playing.  Through the videos, I was able to grasp the sense of how to hold the violin when playing and what the proper posture looks like. 






The final (and, might I say, most effective) method of learning the fundamentals was my father. As mentioned before, he played the violin ever since he was a child and is currently playing at an advanced level (not enough for him to be going around saying he is a professional like he is doing, but who am I to judge. It’s America).  I asked him to show me how I should hold the violin, the bow, the different strings, and the fingerings.  So, he took out a violin and gave me a hands-on lesson.  Immediately, I was able to have a better sense as to how the violin was played.


Now, you all must be wondering (at least I hope you guys were…), how was this ‘research’ spread out through the course of week 1?  Well, I am here to talk about my experience, right?  So here’s the breakdown of how everything went exactly:



Monday, February 9th – Look at the Suzuki book; the tonalization and bowing pages.


Tuesday, February 10th – Continued “research” via Suzuki book; tuning and playing posture.


Wednesday, February 11th – Searching on youtube for violinists and examining their posture


Thursday, February 12th – Imitating the posture of the violinist on youtube with a real violin


Friday, February 13th – Helped by my father to correct the little mistakes I made with the posture I learned by myself


Saturday, February 14th – This day was an unproductive one :( But it was my birthday...if that's a valid excuse


Week 1 was an overall productive week.  I learned many things about the violin such as how to hold the violin on your chin, how the bow is supposed to be held, how to tune a violin, and the fingerings for each note on the violin. With this information, I am now able to apply this knowledge to week 2, where the playing actually begins.  Wish me luck and see ya'll soon!















5 comments:

  1. Hi Christy!

    I like how you posted pictures of the books, so we could see what you're learning. I like how you explained what you did every day, and then overall the effect that it had. I'm excited for you to start playing, so that one day you may become "a professional" like your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm looking forward to the video blog. I get so excited when someone decides to learn a new instrument... although I kind of wish you picked cello. It's just better...

    Some famous violinists I recommend for you to watch are Itzhak Perlman, Jascha Heifetz, and Joshua Bell. There should be sufficient videos with them on YouTube, and I think Perlman (what a coincidence) uploaded some tutorials in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very excited to see what you learned when you actually start playing. At first ,I'm sure it will be difficult jumping from the books to the bow, but I'm sure you can do it no problem! Also, it's incredibly helpful that your dad is there to help you out. He has a lot of experience and having someone there to critique what you're doing will definitely improve not just how well you play but the quality and poise in which you play with. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy I love your blog!! I played the violin for 3 years and never continued but I wish I did. Music is so calming and it is a way to express yourself. I would love to hear your story behind music and how it found you. How did music effect you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww Christy I think your birthday was a valid excuse, especially considering how productive you were throughout the week. You showed a lot of self-control sticking to the research! I can only imagine how frustrating it may have been to stay away from actually playing the violin. Your passion is clear and I can't wait to see what you do from here! Upload videos please :)

    ReplyDelete