Monday, February 9, 2015

Plans, Plans, and More Plans [Week 0]

I was never good at making decisions.  Whether it be who to partner up with or what to eat for dinner, a solid decision almost never comes out of my mouth.  Now, when given a project where I get to decide what to learn, the amount I struggled coming up with a topic was not surprising.  

However, in the end, I somehow came up with two ideas that I thought would make a good presentation: making a new language and learning Francis Bacon's binary code.  Did I have an interest in either?  Not at all. I came up with these ideas because I had difficulty figuring out what I was interested in.


Until it hit me.  Maybe not right in the face, but somewhere along the cheek area, I was slapped and startled awake by the topic of music. I came to realize how much I listened to music on a daily basis, the different instruments I played, and more instruments that I desired to learn. The possible instruments I wanted to play are listed below:

  1. Guitar
  2. Flute
  3. Saxophone
  4. Violin
  5. Cello
Immediately, cello, saxophone and flute were bumped off the list.  Why, might you ask?  Due to their accessibility.  I do not own any of those three instruments, so it would be difficult to practice when the only accessible instruments are at school.  Guitar was also taken off because I knew a decent amount of chords already, and I wanted to challenge myself to play an instrument I have not really experienced playing that much before.  

Well, this pretty much narrowed my topics down to the violin.  So the violin it was. It was not only the process of elimination that caused me to choose the violin as my topic.  There were reasons why I wanted to learn it as well:
  1. I enjoyed listening to my father play it when I was younger
  2. I have a passion and a love for classical music
  3. I wanted to play the violin since I was young
Now that the general idea has been decided, a plan must be created.  Time management is a key ingredient to a successful product, am I right?

I divided my time into approximately five weeks, each week completing a different task each day in helping myself to learn the violin.  Since visuals are almost always more appealing than words, why not present the details in a timeline?
















For week 1, I will be focusing on the fundamentals of the violin before actually playing. This will be done by looking into videos on youtube of basics such as what kinds of fingerings to use on certain strings and imitating those videos with a violin. Weeks two and three will be using beginner violin books to work on my playing technique.  These violin books are called Suzuki.  These books were put together by Shinichi Suzuki with the purpose in grasping proper technique for beginner violin players. The final two weeks will be practicing an intermediate level piece in order to focus on the dynamics, emotions, and flow of a song when played by the violin.

So, in the end, what are my goals for this project?  Reaching that intermediate level of violin playing would be my largest goal.  How to measure that I reached that goal? I will record a small video or recording of my playing every week and upload them each time a new blog post is posted. As time passes, hopefully the fluid, emotional, clear-sounding, intermediate level violin playing will be shown.

For the time being, nothing that I have discovered created a way to set me away from accomplishing this goal.  Unless, of course, procrastination decides to take over.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Christy!

    I'm glad that you realized that you had no interest in the topics of making a new language and binary code before you started the project. It's so much better than having no interest in a project that you would spend so much time on. I'm glad that violin is also something that you have an interest in, and access to, and it would increase your musical ability, so that this project will bring you many benefits. I was wondering if you already have the books with you, and if you have someone who will be able to listen to you playing and make sure that it is correct, like your father for instance. Do you have a certain song that you want to measure your progress by, so that playing that song flawlessly could be like your end goal? It sounds like an awesome project, and I'm excited to see where it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome instrument for you to decide to do. Though it might be complicated at first, I think your history with music will definitely help you out. You'll know a bit of music theory and have an idea of how the strings are set up. However, as it is very different from other instruments it still offers you a challenge. I'm glad you didn't just go with the easiest one, and you wanted something that would actually be interesting and challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited that you decided to learn the violin! I am really looking forward to seeing you be able to play better and better over the course of the next 6 cycles. Already having experience with instruments and music will definitely help and I'm happy that you picked something that was fun for you, not something you would have chosen because you weren't sure of what to do. I hope you have a great time with this and I can't wait to see what happens!
    Sorry, the last comment malfunctioned :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and btw that comment was not malfunctioned I read the last comment too XD Anyways, thanks for the words of encouragement (...................but seriously. Why delete the og comment. I loved that "elated").

      Delete
  5. Hi Christy,
    This looks really awesome and I'm glad your project is related to music! I personally played cello for a few years so I know for a fact that playing a string instrument can be cool. I thought for some reason that you already knew how play the violin from middle school orchestra(I probably confused it with piano) but regardless I have no doubt that your final product will be awesome. However, what song do you plan on learning first after you learn the fundamentals? Are you planning on something simple or maybe something a little more complicated? (Nice job though).

    ReplyDelete