Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Typical High School Presentation? [TED Talk Reflection]

This project has officially come to an end! *cries* Throughout the past six weeks, I have been so deeply focused and involved in the project that since it is now finished, there is a somewhat empty feeling rumbling inside of my stomach.

On March 20, 2015, I presented my TED Talk for this whole project! If you want to see the process of making and planning my TED Talk, click here: CLICK

My brain was a pile of goo when I first stepped onto the stage. Sure, my TED Talk was about confidence, but the at-that-moment-oh-you-could-mess-up-your-script-so-bad feeling still did linger despite my Talk's theme.  However, as soon as I was given the sign to begin, the fear and anxiety all washed away. I was soley focused on portraying my message to the audience.

One thing that I felt that was particularly successful about my TED Talk was that I did not hesitate or stutter. This was one of my greatest fears when on stage. I was afraid that my tongue would get tied, resulting in messing up what I planned to say or an awkward silence.  Which is why I am so glad that this was not the case. I also felt that my voice was relatively loud when presenting as well. I tend to come off as a reserved, quieter person at first, and I used to never be able to speak up...much less speak loudly. Right before going up on stage, I told myself that being louder gets rid of nervousness. Of anxiety. Of the fear of messing up. That speaking loudly rather gains confidence. And, interestingly enough, it worked! I am so glad to see such a wonderful end result.

However, with good things, there are always the bad. One of the most skeptical things that I felt about my presentation was that it was just...a presentation. Not a TED Talk, but a good old fashioned, typical high school presentation. Was my speech to mechanical? Was I adding too much information about my process to get my underlying message across? Did I look anywhere close to a person that does TED Talks? I was confused and worried about all of these things. In fact, I am still confused and worried about this. I did divide the types of content in my script into the proportions I wanted them to be in, but even so, I still was slightly worried that maybe, just maybe, I added 10 seconds too much of my process.

But in the end, I learned that even though I may have presented this TED Talk like a typical high school presentation, thie project is definitely not “typical.” I genuinely enjoyed practicing what I love to do during this project and I hope that I will be able to continue on to an even better violin player (I’ll aim for the intermediate level in two years).


3 comments:

  1. It's been a pleasure to read and listen to your progress. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your presentation and felt that your ability to talk to the audience was amazziiinnnnggg!! I don't know how someone does that. It was good to here your process because some people didn't have enough or any of that and it was better to understand your process than to not hear it at all. I think your presentation ran smoothly and your speech was great! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy, your presentation was awesome! I made a lot of mistakes too, and I'm glad that you had a fluid run through. The progress you've acheieved was great, and your violin playing was much better than I would have achieved. So what instrument would you like to learn next?

    ReplyDelete